Monday, April 5, 2010

Now in 3D!: A Drunken Stampers Challenge

Hello all! It's another Drunken Stampers Challenge entry! Yay!

And it's late! Yay again! I simply didn't have time to complete this project by deadline, however I couldn't skip it all together because I liked the idea so much.

The stamp for the "formal" entry makes me so happy: It's a wonderful image. My Guy describes this stamp as having a "beautiful soul." Awww.

Before I got to work on this card, though I started with a Dover Publications free coloring page Easter image. Just to be sure I'd be able to remember to color and cut in the correct places.

I colored the Dover pages with good ol' Sharpies and colored pencils, planning to have three layers: The background of tulips and leaves, the mid-level Easter eggs and the foreground bunny.

The shaded coloring and multi-layer techniques aren't new to me: My mom can confirm that I've been doing this sort of thing since I was a kid painting the cat and cutting the dog's hair.

Using a more mature, even somewhat sexy  image, though is reasonably new. I love vintage images, especially Victorian- and World War II-era art. That said ... I'm a sucker for Hello Kitty and Looney Tunes and Legos. As I believe I've previously mentioned, I have a hard time finding focus.

Anyhow, my point is that the stamp for the real submission speaks to the part of me who managed to grow up (it's a small part, but she's in here somewhere).

So, the stamp: It's a 3 1/2 by 5 inch Michael's Hampton Art wood-mounted stamp. The image was stamped onto white card stock using black pigment ink.

 I used watercolors for the portion of the image which emulates old parchment. Colored pencil was used for the face (grey), passport (pale blue) and map (pale green). I used copper-colored shimmer chalk for the compass.

The parchment and face are the background, with the compass and surrounding image in the middle. The butterfly, colored with Papermate Flair felt pens, is the foreground image.

Our house smelled as lovely as a forest fire last night after I burned the edges on the background and middle images, but it obviously had to be done. This also is what caused the brownish parchment to turn a bit more orange (I wish I'd taken a photo before the smoke alarm testing since the painting on that HAD BEEN beautiful). Oh well.

Finally, I added an "Explore" embellishment over the passport and mounted the entire piece on a small card, going without further artistry since I really want as much of this stamp as possible to be viewable.

Now I get to move on to this week's Drunken Stampers Challenge: No designer paper.

Right after I check the smoke alarm that is: It never did activate last night -- despite the house being filled with a card-burning haze.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous, wonderful, magnificent-- you ROCKED it, girl!!! Thanks for playing with us Drunken Stampers, CB!!