Monday, March 21, 2011

Frosted Petunias Artful Bag challenge: March

Surely our neighbors blushed a few months back after I discovered that one of my ferrets had "removed" two rhinestones from a handbag of mine. After all, I'm told that ladies shouldn't use that kind of language, especially at top volume.

Yes, of course: Ferrets speak very little Angry Lady With A Rhinestone-less Bag, but at least it made me feel better ... our two carpet sharks thought it all great fun.

Anyhow, what to do with this now virtually useless small handbag? A bitty thing with embroidered flowers missing their glittery rhinestone centers? I know, lots of things, but I'd liked it so much just as it was that I couldn't find my way out of the "It's Ruined!" cycle.

Until yesterday afternoon, out of the blue, it came to me! The March Artful Bag Challenge! Whew! I really didn't want to art up any of my other bags and the local thrift stores have apparently been picked clean by savvy shoppers: While all this time the perfect bag was tucked away in the "It's Ruined!" drawer!

Why didn't I look there in the first place? I have no idea.

OK, so the bag is decorated with a grunge board frame and Holtz stamp "Not all who wander are lost." The frame is coated in Distress Ink and stickles and the wander phrase is embossed with gold.

The flower is cut from an aluminum can, covered in alcohol inks and centered with a vintage pocket watch face, idea-ology flower with jade embossing and a hitch fastener in case I want to add a charm later.

The clockwork is dressed up with alcohol ink, otherwise it's pretty much as is because some of the clockwork bits are functional (well, they move if you spin the correct part).

Can you believe a friend of mine gave me an entire box of old watch parts that she'd bought at an auction? Can you believe I'm not still squealing with delight?

I stopped just long enough to create this fun Artful Bag! Oh, and to ask you a question.

How, on this slickery sort of fabric would you attach something heavy such as, say, the guts from a pocket watch? I tried hot glue and, I'll admit it, Super Glue.

Round one with the hot glue is holding all of the other embellishments more or less permanently, but the watch just popped right off. A second round of hot glue, handled more quickly, managed to maintain the attachment longer and melt some of the fabric, but that's all.

The Super Glue? It's trying super hard ... but it's beginning to let go, too.

What should I do to make the bond permanent?

I'll try some other adhesive options while you toddle off to create your very own Artful Bag before the end of March!

20 comments:

  1. Just a thought but have you tried a few rough stitches in the bag where you want to attache the decorations? these would give the glue something to fix into.

    Stunning make over your pair did you a great favour and a lesson to us all as to why we should horde and horde!

    now which bag should I enhance? XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific makeover on your bag. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a fantastic bag, loved reading the post, you might never have recycled you bag if you didn't have the ferrets. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you every think that the ferrets just try to help you out? Love your recycled handbag. How cool to be given old watch/gear parts. I bought some on e-Bay! I wonder if you used some of that red wonder tape and cut a cirle, if that would be strong enough???

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a special decoration. I like it very much and I love old clokworks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cool, this makes me wanna pull all my old bags out and decorate them :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Funny story, at least to me anyways... you really tricked out that purse beautifully, I must say! Love the clock parts, and the flower and frame are TOO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a Irock? You could add any missing rhinestones from projects that way. Might encourage the carpet sharks to continue on their bling finding mission. I hope you get the clock part to stick. It is freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That's awesome! Try Glossy Accents and/or fabric glue. Might work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tracy I'm Lovin your new bag, you really need to thank your little imps for providing you a new surface to create on. Now the only glue you need is E-6000 I guarantee it will hold EVERYTHING no matter how heavy, and believe me I have tried it all. After you do send your bag into Haute Handbags (stamington publication) along with your story, No doubt it will be published! Great job!!
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oi!!!
    vim retribuir o carinho da mensagem que deixou em meu Blog,

    e

    me encantei com sua Bolsa também,
    sua bolsa moderna e cheia de estilo!

    beijos beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This bag is amazing. I love all the detail and embellishments you added. Who would have thought to cut up a tin can to look like a flower. Oh so creative....a wondrous work of art.
    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tracy,
    what an amazing make over!!! Love it.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your bag makeover. Good on the ferrets getting you to think outside the box.Still got mine to decorate but mind is a blank on it at present.
    Thankyou for your kind words on my 1st ever card. Was very unsure about publishing it.
    Have a crafty weekend.
    Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you put the bag together all the colors coordinating. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness. I love the elements you added to this bag. What a great idea with the can. I would not have ever know. That is too cool. and I love vintage watches. Very cool
    Wishes and whimsy
    Wendy from Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK I admit...I sent the ferrets over, lol! Wow, an aluminum can flower?! How fabulous is that. I love all the pieces you put together. A little vintage steampunkish and perfect on that now amazing bag. Love it! Thank you for sharing :)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do like this bag...I have a few and now I must work on them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. E6000 is totally the way to go, as it remains flexible after drying. That way your elements won't pop free. Be sure to follow directions on curing time, and it might be a contact cement - I think I remember it gives the strongest bond of you apply it to both surfaces, let them get tacky for a little while, and smoosh them together. Smoosh is technical adhesion terminolgy, by the way! Very cool, and I agree with Lynn - send this puppy into Haute Handbags at Stampington! It's fab!

    ReplyDelete