Sunday, December 19, 2010

Rock Candy: A Studio L3 Compendium Challenge

Unfortunately I don't have all night to create this post. As usual, in fact, I'm pretty much hiding behind the Last Freakin' Minute for the Compendium Challenge at Studio L3.

The reason I wish there was more time is because I have multiple stories to tell about this One Damn Project.

In case I can't finish, then, let's start at the end. The finished project makes use of tissue paper, a phrase stamp and sheet of ephemera from Firecracker Designs (sadly she's close up shop), a ticket printed from Miss Cutie Pie (I got to her from Terry's) and a sticker from somewhere I forget.

Alright on to the related stories: First, I couldn't find my own Rock Candy Distress Stickles. My own as in the two separate bottles that are hiding somewhere in my craft room.

Second, I couldn't buy them anywhere in town. Anywhere. So, I ordered two more, along with a few other Holtzy things. I ordered the Stickles back on December 10th. Now I can not find the RCDS I already had, nor do I have the ones I ordered more than a week ago.

But I figured, you know, it's OK because Linda and Mr. Holtz will forgive me. After all, I tried, and I do own the right stuff (thank god, because I surely wasn't born with it, ha ha). I only can't find it amongst the other items I'm saving for the challenges.

Still. You knew that I wouldn't do then what I can wait and try to accomplish during a snowstorm, after the power goes out.

Just to prove how devoted I am to The Last Minute, I'd actually posted a comment on Studio L3 just before the power KRAZAPed! out.

Reading Laura Ingalls' books as a child I always imagined myself living without electricity: Huddled near the fireplace for warmth while reading school books by the light of a gas lamp (as if I read my school books) while Ma rocked and Pa fiddled.

It's with a great deal of confidence, however that I tell you while Laura Ingalls might have been able to darn socks and combine quilt squares in near darkness, I can barely find an acrylic stamp block with a LED flashlight.

Oddly my creation ended up being one of my favorites. Maybe that's because I'm busy patting myself on the back for being so resourceful.

Or, maybe it's just that the power came back on 20 minutes ago and everything seems better after the baseboard heaters again start pumping out warmth.

Huh. Look at that. Heat and I got to tell all of my stories related to this one creation.

No wonder My Guy's always saying I talk too much.

6 comments:

  1. Holy cats, girl, you did all that and still had 20 minutes left! Impressive! Sorry about the power outage, and the lack of Rock Candy ( I once spent every spare moment of an entire week looking for an unmounted stamp that I finally found, in my bin of unmounted stamps. In other words, your Rock Candy is probably somewhere so obvious you don't see it!). ;-)

    I love this card! I can see why it's one of your favorites-- it's really, REALLY gorgeous, and the layers and colors and imagery are awesome. It looks to me like you got SOME kind of Stickle action on there, too, so even if you didn't have Rock Candy, you did the challenge right. Tim's always encouraging us to use what we have on hand, so I bet he'd agree.

    I'm glad you got your power back, and I hope you stay warm and merry and have a fabulous holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your piece and can definitely feel your pain about losing stuff that you KNOW you have somewhere! I wonder if that means we have too much stuff??? aaahhhh that would be a definitive NO! LOL

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be patting yourself on the back, because this piece truly rocks! I love the colors you chose and I never would have guessed that was not RC! Fabulous card. I can relate to your not finding your much needed supplies, because I have been there and so can relate. My "Guy" Mr. SA, when I complain about what a mess my room is in, comes back with we need to get a bigger house!!!! Now, do you think that is funny?

    Well you will now have four bottles of the RC and maybe you can do what I do with my phones and put one in different rooms. Hopefully like my phones, they won't end up still in one room!!

    Hope your power stays on and you can enjoy the warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on overcoming such adversity to creat this little work of art. I'm betting this mornings post brings rock candy stickles and when you put it in the place for such things 2 pots of the stuff will be there looking right back at you LOL Hoping the power stays on and you stay warm, Happy Christmas XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a fantastic piece, you will be sure to find your RC once the new stuff arrives. Stay safe and warm and have a Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! And your story is written so that's is hysterically funny, although at the time I'm sure you didn't think so...

    ReplyDelete