Sunday, September 11, 2011

Guest designer project for The Altered Alice Chapter 7 Week 2: Text as nonsense


My guest designer piece is after The Altered Alice challenge information!
Alice didn't dare to argue the point, but went on: `-- and I thought I'd try and find my way to the top of that hill -- ' `When you say "hill,"' the Queen interrupted, `I could show you hills, in comparison with which you'd call that a valley.' `No, I shouldn't,' said Alice, surprised into contradicting her at last: `a hill can't be a valley, you know. That would be nonsense -- ' The Red Queen shook her head, `You may call it "nonsense" if you like,' she said, ` but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!' -- Chapter 2, Through The Looking Glass and What Alice Found There

Using text as pattern is a trend right now that I really love. Your challenge is to use text as nonsense - not to read but as pattern on your project! Of course you can still have words or sentiments, but we also need to see text used in a non-reading way. I have a stack of old books and dictionaries that I use for this purpose.

Our sponsor is Stamp Attack, a British company that is well known (among other things) for their fantastic Alice stamp plates which have sold to customers all over the world. In fact, Helena Bonham Carter, the actress who played the Red Queen in the Tim Burton Alice movie, purchased sets of Alice stamps from Stamp Attack, which were then delivered to the studio!  Enabler alert: Stamp Attack offers speedy worldwide shipping for only £1 on unmounted stamp orders, so go on and check out their beautiful stamps!

The winner will receive a Stamp Attack gift certificate for £13.50, which is equivalent to one of the stamp plates that the design team will be using!

You have until Friday, September 23 to enter your creation at The Altered Alice and the winner and honorable mentions will be announced on the last Sunday of the month, September 25.  All kinds of projects are welcome, they do not have to be "altered art" and as always, entries that feature some aspect of Wonderland are given two chances instead of one in the random prize drawing. You may enter multiple times as long as each project is on a separate post.

We are also saying goodbye to our current crop of guest designers, so please leave them some special love this month as their projects have been FABULOUS! Thanks so much ladies, you have added so much to The Altered Alice! And stay tuned, there will be some special design team announcements next month too!

Hi again folks, thanks for dropping by to visit me, CuddlyBunny, especially today as I post my final guest designer piece for The Altered Alice!
Wow! What a fun group of wonderfully inspiring artists! Should you ever be asked to join the designer, as a guest or full-time member, say YES!

So, my piece with beautiful stamps from sponsor Stamp Attack is a triangle easel flip-top book.

Each page features different techniques and colors, so to keep things realistically short here ... let's see the photos and you can drop a question if you want to know how something was done!

OK? Okay!

Have a wonderful day everyone, hug the people you love!




9 comments:

  1. I have got to try to play this round! Hope you are having a lovely long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fab mini, Tracy! Love how you've outlined the appropriate text, even though it was from a different story. GENIOUS! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is so FABULOUS!!! I should stop editing the posts when I'm so sleepy, I would think of more to say! As Donna said, the way you outlined words on the page to tie in with the Alice story is GENIUS!!! LOVE the acetate overlay on our favorite Queen of Hearts, LOL! I have so loved ALL of your projects, and if I have a gap form on the DT, I'd love to have you back again! It has been such a joy having you on The Altered Alice DT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, love all the different effects in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool, that's a wonderful book, looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this is absolutely stunning.
    So wonderful book. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Tracy all I can say is your going out with a bang!!!! That and your flip book is AMAZING!!!
    Hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. love how you overstamped that red queen image !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb job! Just entered this challenge myself. Definitely will give the overstamping thing a go one day. Love your work! x

    ReplyDelete