Monday, July 19, 2010

12 Days of Christmas in July at Scrapper's Paradise

My Guy and I recently took part in a class at Scrapper's Paradise in Reno.

Taught by Wendy, the class gave instruction in creating a 12 Days of Christmas Countdown Book. The class was fun, and a freakin' awesome break from the 100-plus temps through which we've been suffering.

Beginning with a 7Gypsies Wire-O album, we added papers and chipboard pieces, ink and stickers and finished with a fun, multi-page book of pockets which are perfectly-sized for tiny gifts and surprises.

Wendy's instruction style is easy to follow for people who've never taken a project class before (I know, because My Guy and I fit into that category), yet she's creative and innovative enough for more seasoned project participants (at least one of the attendees described Wendy as her "favorite").

The space at Scrapper's is nice, too. Several big tables and comfy chairs mean that a roughly four-hour class doesn't result in three hours and 45 minutes of numb butt. 

After leaving the class My Guy and I were discussing the project, in relation to the cost of taking the class -- an important topic for us. I had prepaid for this class, but a recent change in our household's income means that we're not spending for stuff that isn't entirely worthwhile (read "free").

Not that we're usually big spenders, but honestly taking a $28 per-person class every few months wouldn't normally cause us to weigh pros and cons.

Anyhow, our final verdict is that we'd recommend this class, this shop and especially Wendy: She had great ideas for layout, embellishment sources and techniques.

And, for those of you who are wondering why I'm not showing off the completed project: We think you should drop into Scrapper's this week to see Wendy's original book, check out their upcoming calendar and meet some of the most caring creators in all of Reno.

6 comments:

  1. Reno is a little far of a drive for us, so hurry up and show off your completed book! Glad you had a great time with the "guy" and got out of the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same...I am in NE so I am really fast but I can tell how interesting this will be to make. Glad you had fun!

    and Yeah! things are tight everywhere. we all feel the heat and I am not talking about the weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOTE FROM CUDDLYBUNNY: Terry, you're absolutely correct! I forget how small is our little blog world!

    So, before the end of the week I'll post about the finished book!

    Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really look forward to seeing your book as love the idea of this project and England is just a bit too far to come. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say, I live a little to far away! I would LOVE to pop in but that is not going to happen right now! :( Can't wait to see your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great time, CB, and I can't wait to see your finished book.

    I'm just sort of in awe that you got your guy to go with you to a crafting class! Maybe he could give lessons to other, less savvy men? I know a boatload of women who'd be willing to pay top dollar! ;-)

    ReplyDelete