Monday, July 19, 2010

The Earth: She provideth

Have you ever seen the movie "For Richer or Poorer?" I'd say it's a solid three and a half star flick (good enough to see more than once in a lifetime, and has a few really excellent laugh out loud moments).

The major parts went to Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley.

OK, so all of this is only important because I apparently enjoy leading with something that has very, very little to do with the point of my conversation. You see, there's a scene in the movie in which Brad Sexton (Tim Allen playing a money-hungry city guy), realizes that the seeds he planted in the field he plowed, are actually growing.

The Amish gent who owns the farm, Yoder, breathes deeply, looks across the horizon and comments something such about the bounty provided by the earth (and now you're REALLY missing some big chunks of the movie, I know).

Still, I'm sure you're bright and get my meaning. Today I'm feeling more or less the same as our dear Yoder.

Deep breath.

It's amazing. Our two-year-old seeds of corn and discount store onions and Yukon gold potatoes ... they're growing. GROWING.

You should be here to slide your hands along the fronds on our lovely corn. I could cry. They're brushing a point just higher than my hips. They're providing shade to nearby plants.

Poor watering schedules, half-assed weeding practices and damn little specialized care. Yet, Mother Earth provides.

Exhale.

3 comments:

  1. Love that movie!! We have it on DVD! Good luck with your crops Mrs. Yoder in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are obviously over the moon its such a thrill when they start growing. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, CB! Congratulations on your wonderful garden!

    ReplyDelete