Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Distress embossing: A Studio L3 Compendium challenge

Embossing is among the most-used crafty techniques around my house. Pressed embossing and heated embossing, anything at all to fully alter and texture paper is OK with us.

So, when Linda chose as this week's Compendium challenge page 43, Distress powder, there was a little bit of happy clapping at my house. Perhaps one or two gleeful shouts of FINALLY!

Now, we hadn't actually previously played with the Holtz version of embossing powders, but who cares? EMBOSSING!

And, as expected, I fall into Linda's category of "really love." Really. Love.


We had some troubles, of course, like being too impatient (surprise, surprise), but in the end I have the project you see here and a couple of other little things that I couldn't resist throwing together.

After all ... EMBOSSING!

This piece used white card stock cut into a tag with multi-color Lion yard tied through the tag hole. There's a metal heart with some added goo to make it less shiny, that I found on a re-gift olive oil bottle, held by an S-clip and a brad that came from where we couldn't remember.

The distress inking is combination of edging in Vintage Photo, blots provided by Fired Brick and main color provided by tea dye.

The stamp is a combination of a scroll frame piece that came in a discount pack I picked up somewhere and the sentiment from Close To My Heart.

The embossing powder used here is Aged Mahogany.

Now we gotta run because there's less than an hour before bedtime, but several hours of embossing ideas ... don't forget to join Linda's Compendium Challenge!

19 comments:

  1. CB, I LOVE that you enjoyed this challenge so much, and your tag is fab, of course! Already, you've mastered the Distress Powder, right outta the gate! Love all those sweet embellishments, too!

    So... when do we get to see the rest of the things you couldn't resist making?

    ♥ you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag. Love the sheen from the distress inks and the texture from the embossing and embellishments.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tag, the colors are beatuiful, and I like the way you have made your heart 'less shiny'
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog - you asked about my bird, all the detail is in the stamp, it's from the Inkadinkado Winter Birds clear set. There are 5 gorgeous stamps in the packet. Have a fab day x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Tag, embossing is great fun isn't it? Love how you put this all togather dulling the shine on the heart and having the main image slipping off the tag. xx Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tage and I love your colors! I also love embossing and will find out today about the Distress EP!! Love your tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tag! Glad that you enjoyed using the embossing powders :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I know what you mean about embossing--it was my first demo at a stamp store that got me hooked..black opal was the power. I think your tag came out great!! Will you be showing those "other things?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tag is fab!! I love the colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab tag and I also love the colours, brilliant. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tag! Love the little heart! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. "In the good old days" perfect for a tag using the distressed powders. FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are hilarious! first of thanks for the popcorn recipe. I might try it tomorrow. Secondly, Fab tag! love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tag and I love the aged mohogony powder on it! Great choice. Thanks for coming to my blog and leaving comments. i'm glad you thought of parental responsibilities from my project. That's what I was thinking also!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FABULOUS Tag!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luv the tag and the colors you choose, but really enjoy your conversation! lol, and then there is the popcorn! mmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous tag! I love your embossed frame and heart :))))) Thanks for the kinds words on my blog. I really appreciated them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your embelishments and Great tag!

    ReplyDelete