Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christmas in July: A Drunken Stampers Challenge

Oy! Sorry I'm so far behind my time! I still haven't posted the 12 Days of Christmas book, and couldn't even get to my computer yesterday to do a Drunken Stamper's post.

At least I'm finally here to post a little note for this week's challenge over at DS: Christmas in July.

We're sort of Christmas nut jobs in my family, especially me. Most of all I love the lights. Twinkling or solid-burning lights, colored or white, big, little, LED or incandescent: All lights at Christmastime add to the feel of the season.

So, my card focuses on that, and a bit of the DS "lifestyle." Imagine yourself in a pub, your friends are arriving, laughing and shaking snow off of coat collars and scarves. A round of drinks arrives, perhaps an appetizer and as darkness falls outside, the pub windows become a jumble of Christmas colors.

You get it? I knew you would, you clever person.

The main background here is a baby blue card stock with snowflakes punched out of glitter stock. The acetate middle piece has been splattered with alcohol inks and the "Merry" stamp is embossed on flashing with blue tinsel embossing powder that also was used on the ornaments.

To ensure a vintage ornament appearance, I used pearl stuff to create zig zags on the ornaments.

OK, if you want to try the embossed "ornaments," I suggest not. These are made from Tim Holtz's fragments. The fragments are obviously molded as a whole and then broken apart like board game pieces. The mold's spur or branch leaves a slight imperfection on the fragment.

When the fragment is heated this imperfection quickly becomes OVERheated and the piece melts. Uhoh.

Still, it's a cool appearance and, as you'd expect, awesome texture.

4 comments:

  1. What a fab card, love all the different elements and techniques you've used. Splodging alcohol inks is great fun and it looks as if you have had the greatest time. Smashing story as well. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is cool! Love anything with Alcohol - Ha!Ha! Oh do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, love all the colours and ornaments! I also love LOTS of lights at Christms, makes it feel more festive, but try to convince my man of that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm going to start melting some Fragments-- what a cool effect! I love this gorgeous card, CB-- the acetate with the alcohol ink looks amazing!

    I love the Christmas lights, too, and you've done a fabulous homage to them here!

    ReplyDelete